I’ve spent some time designing the API for my internal project.
I’ve documented the design of the API here.
There are a sack of really good resources out there for this:
- Best Practices for Designing a Pragmatic RESTful API: http://www.vinaysahni.com/best-practices-for-a-pragmatic-restful-api
- The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly of REST APIs: http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2011/06/the-good-the-bad-the-ugly-of-rest-apis.html
- OWASP REST Security Cheat Sheet: https://www.owasp.org/index.php/REST_Security_Cheat_Sheet
Document the UI – I’ve found this tends to make the implementation clearer Implement in bootstrap, MVC4 with SQL Server backend Design JSON API to access app
- Implement JSON api using WebApi backend
- Swap the SQL Server backend for a No SQL database
- Replace the WebApi backend with an F# implementation
- Replace the WebApi backend with node.js